Sunday, August 23, 2009

Goals update 10

Again, it's past time for a goals update, and I forgot about it entirely. Lately my memory is shit - I'm lucky I remember to do these, much less blog about anything else!

1. Watch all of the movies I own and have never watched. Still working through these. I should get through a few more this weekend.

2. I've decided to change this goal. Instead of setting a number of games that I have to finish, I'm going to go with playing through some of my games for 5 or more hours a week. It seems silly to fail a goal because I'm playing regularly - but just feel like playing games that take 50+ hours to actually complete. I'd rather enjoy what I'm playing instead of trying to blow through as many of my shortest games that I can.

3. Travel. Yes, I may still blog about Ireland. I started to, but it was taking forever and I wasn't sure if anyone was that interested in reading it! I went to a wine festival the weekend of my birthday. Hitting Philly over Labor Day, and Ohiopyle the following weekend. There's a couple more ideas I'm trying to work out, but if I don't manage to fit those in it's no big deal. I got a hell of a lot done already this year!

4. Continue to learn Japanese. I'm considering the Rosetta Stone software more seriously - I'm thinking I may be able to buy the full set within a couple of months. I already have some money set aside for it.

5. Finish one of my Nano novels. I'm taking this goal off the list. For one, it's pretty much tied in with my writing every day goal. And for another, I don't want to try and force myself to finish something. I will continue to work on all three of my Nano novels, but I'm not going to set a deadline for when I have to be done with any one of them. Forcing myself like that is a surefire way to either write a lot of utter shit, or get burnt out on them. Writing is fun for me - I don't want to turn it into a chore.

6. Write every day. I've been doing well with this. I'm going to try and devote more time and effort to this goal. I have a workshop I'm interested in applying for, so I need to put more time into writing and get some of my stories finished and polished so I can send them with the application.

7. Clean out my stuff, and get organized. Closets are done, and I've been working on my bookshelves for a couple of days. I should be able to take this goal off the list by the time the next update rolls around.

8. New wardrobe. I've figured out everything I really need, now it's a matter of buying everything. I'm not sure if I'm going to leave this on to update every two weeks. I may just take it off the list and then revisit it at the end of the year.

9. Exercise 5 hours per week. I've done much better on this one, though I need to make more time during the week. I've had people coming over multiple times a week to hang out, and my exercise time has suffered because of it. School is back in session now though, so it shouldn't continue to be an issue.

10.
Save money, and learn to manage my money wisely. I budgeted a lot for Ireland, but the credit card bill came and I spent maybe a third of that, and far less than I thought I had. I'm quite happy with that. I should be able to keep my savings mostly intact even after paying off the trip, and I'm going to try and start putting more money into that account with every paycheck. It's getting to be a bad time of year for presents (birthdays and Christmas) but I should be able to set aside at least something every couple of weeks.

11.
Eat healthy. I've also made improvements here. I cut back on caffeine as well, though I'd like to cut back even more. I'll probably cut this goal from the list within the next month. I can tell that for the most part this has become habit. I naturally eat more healthy meals and snacks and easily pass up most snacks, or if I really have to have some kind of junk food I'll go with a much smaller amount than I used to.

12.
Photography. I've played around with a few editing programs, but I'm still working through them. I have to try the stuff that came with my camera, but right now I'm leaning toward buying Adobe Lightroom 2.

13. Make more time for myself - one hour per day. I've done better with this goal than any of the others. It hasn't been any particular time of night, but for the past couple of weeks I've made time for watching Buffy/Angel or just reading for an hour. I think it's really helped considering my busy stressful work days, and I'm definitely going to keep it up.

14. Finished all of the borrowed things I have. I finished a few of the books I had, and returned a few others that I decided I didn't really want to read very much. I also got through some BSG, though I've been too sucked into Buffy and Angel lately (and when I'm not watching those I'm watching Doctor Who or Firefly with Danielle...) to get through much else. I'm going to return a few more books and DVDs that I don't have the time for right now, and hopefully get back into BSG soon. This is already much more manageable than it was though.

Okay, that's all for now. I know I have a couple of goals I was considering adding on...but I don't remember what they were. Not that I need to add yet more goals to the list when I've finally managed to get rid of a few!

I'll try and post some Ireland stuff and pics later this week or weekend. ^_^

1 comment:

Christian said...

It was awesome to have you guys here and I can't wait for next time :D

Glad you're getting more time for yourself and eating healthier! Both are important to feel well and sane ^_^

<3333