Tuesday, January 1, 2008

Christmas 2007

Right, so I've finally started a blog. I intend to update it on a fairly regular basis, though I'm not sure exactly what that means. I'm hoping for once a week for now. Of course, this screen has been open in Firefox for hours and I'm just now getting around to typing anything. I'm off to a great start!

I don't even know what to talk about in here, so I figured I'd just go over what's happened in my life the last month or so. I finished NaNoWriMo, and won, with nearly 65,000 words for November. Sadly the story isn't even halfway finished at this point. I'd love to complete it, but I've had to put the project on hold for the last month due to finals and the holidays. I'm hoping to get back into writing before I start classes next week.

Finals kicked my ass. Entirely too many all-nighters. I really need to get ahead on my work more so that doesn't happen again. I think it had a lot to do with NaNo though; I word warred instead of studying far too often considering finals were right around the corner. I did well on my final grades though, so that's a plus. Accounting was a bitch, but then again I wasn't using the correct textbook.

When I finally got on break on the Wednesday before Christmas, all I wanted to do was to relax for a few days. Catch up on some sleep, reading, video games, etc. Unfortunately, I got a call from my mom Friday morning. She was crying, asking me to come over and help her get our dog to the vet. Apparently Supai had been whining overnight, which wasn't unusual, and my mom thought nothing of it. But in the morning, she couldn't even move, and she had a big lump in her stomach. So we manage to carry her to the car, and get her to the doctor. Turns out she had a gastric bubble and it had twisted. It was causing her a lot of pain, and there was nothing we could do about it. The vet said we could put her into surgery to fix it, but she'd only have about a 25% chance of surviving the procedure, and even if she did it wouldn't necessarily be fixed. We didn't want to put her through that sort of ordeal, so we had to put her to sleep. It was a horrible start to Christmas. She'd been in our family for 15 years; it's still so strange to think she's gone. I am glad I got the chance to watch her for nearly the entire month of November though, while my mom had work done on her house. At least I got to spend that time with her.

Christmas Eve I just went to my mom's house. We watched Love Actually and wrapped presents (or pretended to anyway), and gorged ourselves on frozen pizza and wine. It was a blast. I'm grateful we're finally to the point where we can hang out on occasion and have a good time, with no drama or arguing. It only took seven years, haha.

Christmas day I didn't do anything special really. It was the dinners with various family members, as usual. I got a ton of stuff, more than I'd expected. Games-wise, I got The Orange Box, Indigo Prophecy, Prince of Persia: The Two Thrones, and Guitar Hero III. Books, I got Ender's Game (no I've never read it, it's quite sad), along with The Shadow of the Wind, Shantaram, Apollo's Fire, and The Complete Works of Edgar Allen Poe. Mom got me some clothes and made me jewelry to match; I need to get her to teach me how to make that sort of thing. And she also got me a digital camera, which I've been wanting for ages. I can finally start taking pictures again! I'm also getting an external hard drive from my grandmother as soon as I pick one out, which I desperately need before the one on my laptop dies completely. I need to back stuff up before I end up losing it.

Alright, I think that's enough for tonight. It's nearly midnight, and I need to get to bed at a decent hour (ha, yeah right) so I can drag my ass to the eye doctor tomorrow morning. I'll try and update for the rest of 2007 tomorrow, along with my "Big, Fun, Scary Goals" for 2008.

No comments: