Wednesday, July 2, 2008

New job?

I mentioned in my last goal update that I'd found a temp agency in the area. They're only about 20 minutes from me, and once I asked around I heard a lot of good things about them, so I decided to see if they could help me find anything on the job front. My appointment with them was yesterday. I was there for a few hours; first I had to fill out a ton of paperwork, then I had to take a bunch of tests (since I was applying for office and accounting jobs they needed to test me with typing and such), and then I finally had an interview.

The woman who interviewed me, Debby, was so nice. She said that between my scores being really high and the fact I have so much accounting knowledge they should be able to find me something quickly. I wasn't really expecting any more than to discuss my scores and what I was looking for, and then hopefully I'd hear back from the agency in a week or two. But Debby went on to tell me about a couple of specific jobs she wanted to try me in. One in particular she sounded really excited about, so I said to go ahead and send them my resume or whatever. She said she'd get back to me about when my interview with them would be.

I was home for maybe an hour before Debby calls me, and is like, "Right so they're excited to meet you and I know it's short notice, but can you go for an interview tomorrow morning?" I was surprised they were so fast, to be honest. I wasn't hoping for much from this agency, and I certainly wasn't expecting anything quickly. But I agreed to go down there and do the interview.

One good thing about all of this was that it happened so quickly I didn't have time to think too much about it or get nervous. I went in this morning and interviewed with both the head of personnel and the person who would be my direct manager. I think it went really well, and they're supposed to let the agency know soon. I'm keeping my fingers crossed.

As for the details...these people own an online company. They started with one store and have built up over the last 6-7 years to the point where they now have seven or eight different stores and about 90 employees. I'd be working doing general customer service and office stuff. To be honest the job sounds great. It's about half an hour drive, which isn't too bad, especially since I wouldn't have to deal with traffic the way I get there.

The position is temp to hire, which means if all goes well they'll hire me on a permanent basis after a few months. The pay is pretty good to begin with, and would go up as soon as I was hired permanently. It's 40 hours a week; there's three different shifts but I'd work no later than 7pm. They close at 5pm Friday and are closed over the weekend, so I'd always have that time free. They also close the office and turn off the phones for an hour every Friday and provide everyone with a catered lunch. There seem to be a lot of people around my age there and everyone seems really nice. Plus they offer all of the benefits. Medical, dental, vision, disability, life insurance, a 401k, etc.

They're more than willing to work around a class or two if I continue with school. On top of all of that, there's plenty of room for advancement, and they have their own accounting department as well, so if something opened up I'd pretty much be guaranteed a spot if I already worked there and wanted to switch departments.

All in all I really hope I get this job. Debby called me after my interview to see how it went (seriously this woman is one of the the nicest people I've ever met) and she seemed to be optimistic and think my chances are really good. I doubt I'll know anything before next week due to the holiday weekend though. I highly doubt they'd call me tomorrow. So I'm going to have a loooong weekend of waiting, but hopefully it pays off!

And hell, even if it doesn't, Debby had mentioned another two jobs at least that I would be qualified. I'm sure at this rate I'll get something soon enough. ^_^

3 comments:

Jadey said...

OHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHH SQUEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEE


im so so so happy, yay, i really hope you get it, and at least theres a few for you to try too, and Debbie was so fast aswell, i reaally hope they get back to you soon^_^

<3

Niall said...

Things are looking good for you now :) I hope you get that job too <3

*cuddles*

Christian said...

OMG I HOPE YOU GET IT SINCE I HAVE NO IDEA IF YOU DO OR NOT >.>

<3